PS3 Don't use Youtube as main/only source of info for Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by DeViL303, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 41
    Bruh2204

Bruh2204 Forum Noob

ok my ps3 slim is arriving on saturday i think and i was going to use mrmarios tutorial but now i'm pretty scared that i will brick my ps3. So is there an official tutorial on this website to jailbreak a ps3 on 4.84?

2. 1,376
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

sandungas, esc0rtd3w and DeViL303 like this.
  3. 2
    MVG

MVG Forum Noob

Hi eveyone Modern Vintage Gamer/lantus360 here. For those that don't know me I am a homebrew dev started out on the OG Xbox and moved to the 360 and did some PS3 homebrew stuff for a minute - I ported FBANext back in 2011, and then Squarepusher took it over and was the beginning on RetroArch.

These days I run a YouTube channel and wanted to clear up a few things about MrMario's video and YT in general.

30000 views is probably about 30 dollars in ad-revenue. So anyone who claims its for the views/money has no idea what they are talking about. Most YouTubers make less than the poverty line. Only the top 5% get rich. Getting a little extra on the side is nice, but saying that he is doing it for the views/ad revenue has no idea what they are talking about

Now lets take that 30 dollars and think about how much time that was taken to research, film, edit the video. It probably took him between 12-24 hours of his time to make. All of a sudden that $30 doesn't seem worth the trouble does it? Even minimum wage would pay out way more than $30.

So why do it then? We do this stuff because we are passionate about the scene's we are a part of and want to spread knowledge. His video - while could have used some adjustments - is totally fine. Everyone should know the risks doing this stuff.

And anyone who uses a YouTube video as a main guide and NOT as a supplement while working on a text base guide really has no business attempting to perform a jailbreak.

I've done tutes on YT myself (PSVita TV JB, Xbox Softmodding etc) and some of it is out of date now.

YouTube isnt always the best medium for tutorials because you cant easily modify content. Anyway I wanted to say ive used MrMario's tutorials before and they've always been top quality and I vouch for him

in this instance there was nothing inherently wrong with his guide, but there were some checks and balances that were missed.

thanks

MVG/lantus

4. 41
    Bruh2204

Bruh2204 Forum Noob

5. 41
    Bruh2204

Bruh2204 Forum Noob

Do you mean after installing HFW i restart the console and install the update again?

6. 1,376
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

No, the console will restart automatically but will not let you reinstall HFW again via System Update. You need to install again by the Recovery Menu, which is what is meant by installing it twice.

7. 41
    Bruh2204

Bruh2204 Forum Noob

so once in the XMB and once in recovery mode right? And sorry if i'm asking a lot of questions i am really a noob at ps3 and i don't want to brick my console...

8. 7,081
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    upload_2019-4-10_20-17-16.png

If 30000 = $30 then 21,472,704 = a F%$# tonne of money , so you can drop that idea right where you found it. Pretty much makes all of your comment BS imo.

What Complete condemnation, what comment do you think is worthy of title of "complete condemnation" ?? :) I seriously would like to know , do you understand english, do you know complete condemnation means.
    That is exactly what this thread is about, I have no way to contact him, and this way serves 2 purposes, First it lets him know he has a dodgy tuturial, not that hes bothered, apparently its "youtube", and can never be changed lol, And second, and it warns others who browse this site, as lots do not know this.

Its about more than just him, its about people following crappy tutorials in general and bricking, he is the example i am using because he came to my attention and his tutorial was particularly bad.

You can mess with anyone you like , work away, bring it on. :D

I thought this was most hypocritical thing i have seen all year:
    But i think this might beat it.
    Complete hypocrite, to say that after some of the rants and abuse you give people. You have made loads of way more aggressive announcements yourself in the past, But i suppose its one rule for you and another for me is it? f*ck that.

I will ask you again, where is proof of that, can we agree if MrMarios tutorial was better that the console would have a good chance of still bring alive? Or are you going with the "he was on CFW already" excuse too?

Where is proof of that? I actually love youtube. I have a channel and all. I have no problem with youtube, my problem is with incomplete tutorials, and especially incomplete tutorials that are being recommended on here on an almost daily basis.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  9. 1,376
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

That's right :) No problem, I'd rather you asked to make sure before going ahead and not being sure of something. The purpose of installing the firmware twice is to prevent a bad flash dump, i.e. so both ROS0 and ROS1 both have the same value. It's a precautionary measure before beginning the jailbreak process, to eliminate the possibility of failure as much as possible.

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  10. 12
    saulin

saulin Forum Noob

Why does it need to be installed twice?

I only did it once and then proceeded with the CFW? any advantages on installing it twice or just to make sure that the HFW really overwrites the OFW?

11. 41
    Bruh2204

Bruh2204 Forum Noob

ok thanks for everything man. I'm so pumped to finally play all the games i missed on PS3 and playing my ps2 backups in better quality than my crap "CRT"

Coldheart2236 and DeViL303 like this.
  12. 7,081
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    There are areas in flash that store the version you installed last, and the version you had before that. So to update both areas to say "4.84" it is recommended to install 4.84 twice.

If you successfully installed CFW then its ok, its just in some cases this leads to an error during CFW install.

ps3mastar234 and esc0rtd3w like this.
  13. 1,376
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

It's to minimise the risk of a bad flash dump, @DeViL303 can explain it better as he's more familiar with the specifics. As far as I understand, it's so both ROS0 and ROS1 both have the same firmware version written to them. HFW is OFW, so even if you tried installing OFW 4.84 and then HFW 4.84 over it via the XMB, it would not let you.

DeViL303 likes this.
  14. 12
    saulin

saulin Forum Noob

Yeah I had 4.8.2 OFW to begin with, so I went to 4.8.4 HFW and then 4.8.4 CFW

I went with what the video said but I did 2 Phat PS3s like this and thankfully there was no brick. I was just trying to understand if I missed a step that was critical for the functionality of the CFW but looks like it's to minimize the chances of bricking the console

15. 2
    MVG

MVG Forum Noob

done here - enjoy this circle-jerk thread

GregoryRasputin likes this.
  16. 1,376
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Thanks for dropping by. For what it's worth, I regularly watch your videos on YouTube - old and new ones - and find them very informative and interesting.

17. 7,081
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    LOL, lets not exaggerate now.

Like i already said, that was one of the better tutorials on there, and its still bad.

I changed thread title to be nicer to youtubers.

18. 131
    shab

shab Member

Work from home looking to help others

YOYOYOYO DON'T WATCH HIS TUTORIAL

19. 1,376
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Thanks for your valuable input, but it's all in hand, cheers.

DeViL303 likes this.
  20. 131
    shab

shab Member

Work from home looking to help others

all his supporters on here since you love him so much go ask him to make you a cfw

see what he says then Arselicks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.