PS3 Don't use Youtube as main/only source of info for Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by DeViL303, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1,341
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

MrMario is probably not malicious, but rather ignorantly portraying bad practices
    1. He didn't include the warnings until 18 hours ago (it's a pinned comment)
    2. He skipped steps in his video that are in the description
    3. The steps he skipped, were as important, if not MORE important than the steps he showed.
    4. He is making money from the video
    5. He is becoming an enabler for users that are not willing to read tutorials to better understand the process
    6. He is lowering the bar for an already notoriously bad platform for tutorials and guides
    7. His process has caused others that followed it to brick.

The user is fully responsible for the welfare of the console they are handling. If it was functional before they started, they are responsible for producing a functional unit, or a suitable replacement agreed upon by the owner of the machine. They are 100% to blame, as the creation of a video, or watching it produces no result to a console, regardless of its power state. It is only user interaction that causes these issues.

I can agree that blame is 50/50, but if you watch a youtube video to replace a detailed guide...you kind of deserve to get a half ass answer...

2. 7,089
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I agree. And this is not about this one user in particular, for all i know this was user error.

But this case, was enough to make me go check out this MrMario video, who i keep hearing about on here recommended by other members, and then i see he leaves out almost ALL the checks that have been specifically created to prevent this.

The fact is, we get "lots" of users on here who have bricked, and who did not check their dumps, and this is a BIG part of the reason (38,000views and rising everyday), they are following crappy youtube tutorials, made by muppets.

I dont know what is worse, not even reading the official steps when you are making a tutorial, or reading them, but couldnt be arsed including them.

upload_2019-4-10_13-50-36.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  3. 593
    lmn7

lmn7 Developer

From an outside perspective it seems there's bias in favor of Mario because he has friendships with prominent scene members. If it were anyone else, they would be condemned. That's just my opinion.

I agree that the entirety of the blame doesn't fall on him, the user is responsible for what they do with their console. But you have to wonder why he didn't include those steps in his video. It's such a small thing that could save so many people from bricking their consoles.

4. 7,089
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Exactly, it a one rule for friends, and a different rule for others, that is the most surprising thing. Well actually maybe not, I have seen this "scene nepotism" before, its strange and i dont see how it can be justified.

Here is a more complete tutorial in 14 lines than MrMarios entire 28 minute video. :)

• Check minver
    • Download HFW PUP
    • Check HFW PUP MD5
    • Install HFW PUP
    • Install HFW PUP
    • Dump flash for backup
    • Download flash hex file
    • Check flash.hex file MD5
    • Inject flash.hex patch
    • Dump flash again
    • Check dump is ok
    • Download CFW
    • Check CFW MD5
    • Install CFW
    50% of the steps missing from mr marios video IMO. Prove me wrong? :)

5. 1,743
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Watching this thread evolve into a scene war be like giphy (2).gif

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

6. 66
    ps3mastar234

ps3mastar234 Forum Noob

I actually agree with you! Gregory Rasputin was the biggest asshole during the height of the PS3 scene and was the cause of it's downfall if i remember correctly! surprised to see his ass still lurking around a deserted wasteland of a scene... no offense to you or any of the true devs that's somewhat keeping the scene alive.

DeViL303 likes this.
  7. 263
    GregoryRasputin

GregoryRasputin PlayStationHAX PSX-Place Supporter

Something is missing from the tutorial, that should be told to MrMario and he should correct it, i think creating an announcement in the top scene site is a bit extreme though.

I have known about MrMario and his videos for a long time, long before Team Xploit were a thing.
    I didn't even know Team Xploit and MrMario were buddies, me liking MrMario has nothing to do with who he is affiliated with either >.<

Nobody is trying to twist anything, you were the one who created the thread condemning YouTubers.
    I personally think YouTubers are quite helpful and they have helped many people, i do think if they have done something wrong or made a mistake, then yes they need to be called out, but complete condemnation is a bit extreme.

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  8. 263
    GregoryRasputin

I can mess with anyone i like, he is having a bit of a nervous breakdown because he doesn't like YouTubers.

Get with the programme, i am still an asshole, also my name is GregoryRasputin, not Gregory Rasputin...
    Also the PS3 scene has never had a downfall, it is still going quite well.

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  9. 66
    ps3mastar234

ps3mastar234 Forum Noob

Never knew backup loaders was keeping a "scene" alive and "well" tho i guess for pirates maybe and yes i am very 100% aware of the 4.84 ps3xploit stuff which we're ALL very grateful for! but the deep lack of continued RetroArch or any other emulation updates has been staggering to me for quite sometime... despite how "popular" and "very well" it still is quote on quote.

10. 263
    GregoryRasputin

The last stable update of RetroArch was in February of this year, i would not consider that quite some time ago, it also gets nightly updates.
    Then there is the fact that people on the latest PS3 firmware can play every homebrew ever made for the PS3.
    Finally if the PS3 scene was dead, this thread wouldn't even exist :p

11. 66
    ps3mastar234

ps3mastar234 Forum Noob

"Nightly Updates" that's the biggest lie i've heard today lol maybe you've got that mistaken for PSP and PS2 (can't believe even THAT console is getting updates more than the PS3 lmfao)

12. 131
    shab

shab Member

Work from home looking to help others

heres the thing

lets say in mr marios tutorial it said check the flash etc I would have checked and if it didn't match I obviously would have followed the steps if it didn't match and my ps3 would have been working the reason I don't like youtubers like mr Mario is because he don't reply to problems the muppet

decent people like (billy kibaki the Jamaican) replied to me most youtubers don't give a damn f*uck about the viewers they just want their money at the end of the day and want people to say oh mr Mario has a perfect tutorial
    mr Mario be like 'yes im a scumbag and im getting views nice way to make money

MrMario checklist

1. Make a How to Brick A ps3 Tutorial
    2. Get Views and likes
    3. Don't Reply To The Viewers
    4. Be a muppet
    5. BLAME YOUTUBE
    6. Pretend Nothing Happened

I know you are a thick kid @mrmario2001 but at least include the info in the vids u make

13. 1,391
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

https://xbins.org/libretro/nightly/playstation/ps3/

You can see from there that the CEX build (as well as DEX and ODE) was last updated only 20 minutes ago, so keep your ignorance to yourself.

GregoryRasputin likes this.
  14. 3,241
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

IMHO The page for the Flash Dumper should advice the users with more warnings and instructions like the one above (I added some missing details). Yes, I know it already has a lot of warnings, but: "You can dump the NOR now & check that the patch has been applied successfully." sounds like an optional step.

I think tthe Flash Writer should show a message in bold/red like this: "WARNING: Before restart the PS3, you must dump your flash again right now & check with PyPS3Tools that the patch has been applied successfully. If you turn off or reboot without checking that the flash is OK, you will need a hardware flasher to recover your PS3." after the big green "operation completed".

I'm not defending @MrMario2011 ... I think he makes good tutorials. He just must update his video with the proper steps.
    Unfortunately he is not the only one doing incomplete tutorials... and the issue should be solved in the origin ;)

I hope @esc0rtd3w could update the flasher with the suggested warning. And include a disclaimer like: "ADVICE: Before proceed make sure that you have read this tutorial".

15. 131
    shab

shab Member

can you link me all the stuff I need to make a good dev im currently reading upon stuff hopefully by end of this year I will have my own cfw

16. 1,341
    psykosis

Here's the thing. Whether or not that video existed, the console worked fine PRIOR to you touching it.
    YOU did all the work, effort, and made the decisions on what information to listen to and what not to.
    It is 100% your fault. I don't believe in a youtube video solution, because of this very circumstance.

I don't like what that particular person did, and I pointed it out. In the end, if he said to take a flamethrower to your console, would you listen? If he told you to threaten the life of your president or call a bomb threat, would you listen? NO..that's common sense. The same sense you would use to acquire MORE information before proceeding. The dude gets paid to show people how to do things, in a half cocked way, and people pay to keep them up. There's still tutorials out there that have you install some special pup which turns out to be... *gasp* OFW!! People still follow that, and it's their fault for not following up with a reliable source.

Every single modification you make to the system, is your responsibility. You CHOSE to follow a guide. Whether that decision was wise, or poor ultimately depends on the result.

Should he have made the video? NO. Should anyone have followed it? NO. Who's fault is it? In the end, the end user
    Should he be buying ANYONE a console? NO, not at all. Should he issue an apology and an updated video? YES, but he probably won't, and that's his right.

If you listen to the instructions, step by step, that came from the team that designed the exploits, apps, firmware, etc...you USUALLY tend to have next to zero problems if any at all. It's when you listen to some half cocked youtuber that you take your console into bricksville usually.

17. 66
    ps3mastar234

ps3mastar234 Forum Noob

Well how was i suppose to know if you or anyone hadn't updated this site and let others know there was nightly builds being updated on PS3 daily, i would have known already and not rely on libretro's nightly builds website instead if that were the case!

18. 1,341
    psykosis

check the github for libretro...they usually show when a file is updated. :)
    Honestly, it would be loathsome to hear about every silly little file update about retroarch
    Usually, when there are a significant number of changes and an updated release milestone is out it gets front paged.
    That's more than enough, news wise. Otherwise, you'd literally have an update every other day and in some cases multiple times a day.

19. 1,391
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

So, what you're saying is we should update the site daily, to reflect nightly builds of homebrew such as RetroArch? There's an entire section of the forum dedicated to RetroArch which contains external links to the site where it is developed and maintained. The information is there, it is not hidden or secret in in any way. I'm not attacking you for not knowing about something; I was simply addressing your dismissive post in response to GR telling you that RetroArch has nightly builds - a very common practice with many software projects, not just homebrew. No offence intended. :)

sandungas and GregoryRasputin like this.
  20. 131
    shab

shab Member

im still putting the blame on him if he included the bits he missd I would have a fully functional ps3 I spent time and money into my ps3 I do not have control over what he uploads on youtube

ps3mastar234 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.