ManaGunZ - PS3 Backup Manager by Zar v1.35

A feature rich backup Manager (& More) by Zar (Iris Manager Fork)

1. 4,251
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I didnt tryed OPL but i been watching some videos to get an idea of when you are triggering the sounds, and yes is very similar to my suggestion, the biggest difference is you are "expanding" it a bit, for the sound i named "move to brother" you are using 3 instead (Page.adp, ScrollH.adp, ScrollV.adp)
    The Transition.adp is like my "move to children" and Cancel.adp "move to parent"

Im going to make another table to compare (with better names inspired in the officials from PS3 XMB)
    CursorMove to brother (D-PAD left/right/up/down) a single item, of several (go to first, go to last, pageup, pagedown)
    EnterMove to child (enter a submenu)
    ExitMove to parent (exit a submenu)
    DecideQestion marks, decissions, and confirmations
    OkSelecting an option successfully, or completing a long process
    NgWarnings and error messages, either with a visual notification or without it
    BootLaunching a game, or/and when entering in the backup manager

I been taking a look at the official PS3 sounds and wrote this: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:RCOXML_Sounds
    Long story short... there are a lot of mistakes and is a disaster, there is a sound replaced by a "dummy" and other 4 sounds that are duplicated (all them does the same default "click")
    My bet is all this was used in old firmwares but at some point they "nuked" partially some of that sounds... overall there is a lot of room for improvement if someone is interested in preparing a sound collection for PS3 :)

There is something i need to explain though, because is related with what i was saying here before (without the explain is very hard to understand what i was trying to explain)
    The official sound named "snd_option" it was originally used to "enter in submenu"... but in latests official firmwares has been replaced by the default "se_cursor" (that does the default "click"), so you dont have an special sound for entering in a submenu in official firmware

But the P3T themes allows do add sounds inside them, and you can override the "snd_option" with the "se_optionmenu" so you will have the 3 main navigation sounds: cursor/enter/exit
    This is the only way to notice where the PS3 is supposed to play each sound for enter/exit submenues

Anyway, just by using a PS3 theme is not enought to "fix" the disaster of the sound selection in 4.83 official firmware, there are many sounds stored as stereo but contains exactly the same data on left and right channels (this is a dirty trick that could be aceptable when making a P3T theme because is easyer or because a mistake when converting audio formats and splitting channels, but in official firmware is a shame)
    There is an "error" sound that is a dummy (doesnt plays anything)
    And there are 4 sounds that originally was used for other things i guess but now all them are the default "click"... so we have "clicks" everywhere o/

Now im wondering how much of this was made "in the original way it was intended" in old PS3 firmwares, and how much of it has been inherited from PSP firmwares, i guess (by now) im not going to do this archeology digging into old playstaton firmwares trying to see how the sounds was working before, but im just "pointing finger" to it incase someone is interested, there are some easter eggs in that direction :P

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Krah likes this.
  2. 142
    Krah

Krah Developer

I was hoping to be done with sfx very soon but I really like the structure/format of your table in terms of which sfx are played when..I guess I could work on it a bit more it shouldn't take too long to organize sfx that way. Biggest time sink would be trying to pick the right sfx for the new structure.

If you're serious about asking your mate that uses fruityloops to make audio files for opl & managunz sfx I'd happily use them in opl! :)

3. 4,251
    sandungas

I will ask him if he can replicate from scratch the default "click" of the PS3 (i think this one is the most imortant), and after that i guess the others can be created by changing the tone a bit up or down, or dunno... adding some subtle effect

In the meantime i imagined you could have a "sound pack" from PSP, PS3, PSVita, and even PS4
    Incase you dont want to distribute this official files i wrote a small tutorial of how to get the "official PS3 sound pack" :)
    This selection of sounds im making is based in PS3 4.83 firmware, as i mentioned before in latest firmwares there are some sounds "missing" that i guess existed in old PS3 firmwares, but right now i dont know in which ones, so this selection of sounds is a bit limited by that

Download PS3 firmware (any version, official or custom)
    Use pupx_dev_flash.exe to extract the contents of PS3UPDAT.PUP
    Use rcomagegui.exe (with default settings) to extract the contents of:

-dev_flash\vsh\resource\system_plugin.rco
    --snd_cursor.wav
    --snd_system_ok.wav
    --snd_system_ng.wav

-dev_flash\vsh\resource\eula_net_plugin.rco
    --FocusMove.wav (rename to decide.wav)
    --PageEnter.wav
    --PageExit.wav
    --Boot.wav

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  4. 1,035
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

5. 4,251
    sandungas

Hehehheh, you got him, im happy to see some of the new changes (like the filemanager root interface) :)

Btw @Zar are you going to add font shadows in this update ? (for Y axis it seems ?). This is awesome, i love it because is going to solve a couple of minor problems related with overlapped pixel colors, and because it solves completly the problems of "contrast" in between the different themes applyed and the fonts (if background image matches in color with font = readability problems)

Just a thought... if you are creating the shadow by choosing a number of pixels of displacement in Y axis i think you could to the same in X axis... in other words, apply the same "shadow displacement" in both axis, this will look better ;)

My mistake, the mention to font shadows is an addition in the "todo" list, i went hyped too soon

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    kozarovv likes this.
  6. 715
    Zar

Zar Developer

7. 4,251
    sandungas

Is nice, thx :)

You added the game tag icons, there is some other change in the sizes or positions of icons in the "navigation bar" ?

8. 668
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

@Zar Thank you for ManaGunZ and this new update :) It is one of my favourite homebrew and I love the GUI of the integrated file manager. A very simple but effective design, and I use it every time I need to transfer files between internal and external.

Zar likes this.
  9. 715
    Zar

Zar Developer

I don't rly remember, sry, but I don't think I changed any position. I added recently the support for 4.83 (and I removed every while(1) to "improve system stability", see openbor topic) but the other modifications were made severals months ago.

sandungas likes this.
  10. 4,251
    sandungas

sandungas updated ManaGunZ with a new update entry:

ManaGunZ v1.34 released

Read the rest of this update entry...

11. 41
    Realrj

Realrj Forum Noob

Hey guys. I have been playing Xenosaga for a few weeks now and everything was full screen, but now (must be something I've done) the cutscenes all have 2 huge side bars that are sometimes black, other times freeze the previous image in place.

I checked my PS3 settings and tried changing the game settings to full screen, normal etc... The game runs full screen when that is selected but the bars still appear in the cutscenes. And I always had full screen cutscenes until 3 days ago.

I'M using rebug 4.82.2 with cobra and managunz.

Any ideas?

Thank you

12. 41
    Realrj

Realrj Forum Noob

Alright, I'll leave the solution in case anyone else goes through this.

The problem was managunz wide-screen option that I enabled and it patched the actual iso. Had to copy it again from my laptop.

Issue resolved ;)

13. 4,251
    sandungas

Managunz can "unpatch" the iso too
    With this i mean... if at some point you apply some permanent patch to the iso... managunz keeps a record of it and the option you used to patch changes to "unpatch" to allow you to revert the changes and restore the iso like it was originally
    Im not sure in how many functions can be made this "unpatch" though, i never used it much, but hope you got the concept :)

Also, you can use the option "check MD5" to see if the iso have changed

14. 41
    Realrj

Realrj Forum Noob

Unfortunately, as soon as I used that option on the game's menu, the option to undo it disappeared, unlike the 480p option or the LIMG one that changes to "disable", the wide-screen one just vanished in my case so I couldn't revert it :/

15. 4,251
    sandungas

Hmm, ok, i mentioned that features a bit roughlly because im not sure in how many places is used in managunz, also i have an small mess when trying to remember what does everyone of that patches

Anyway, now you are getting used to them, if you find some problem or have some suggestion related with them remember there is a managunz support thread in the forum where you can write about it http://www.psx-place.com/threads/managunz-ps3-backup-manager-by-zar.1198/
    Is nice to cummulate all the feedback there to have a better overview of how it works

16. 41
    Realrj

Realrj Forum Noob

Oh, thank you so much Sandungas, didn't know we have a thread for that.

Hopefully this will help someone else that goes through the same ordeal. I'm still fresh meat when it comes to the PS3 scene, so I'm trying to apply my knowledge from the psp and Vita scenes. Trial and error :)

sandungas likes this.
  17. 4,251
    sandungas

I mentioned it because im not sure if that "vanishing" is a bug
    The others that changes to "disable" seems to be working fine (and i guess are going to revert the ISO to the original MD5 if you check them)

But the other that vanishes... im not sure if at this point should be working like that, maybe the "disable" is not implemented for some reason (in this case i guess could be nice to add a warning in the help text advising that the patch cant be reverted)

18. 4,251
    sandungas

Btw, do you mind if i merge all the messages of this thread with the official managunz thread ?
    This is becoming interesting, and i just had an idea about how to add a warning in a very visible way :) (is the kind of annoying thing that the user will know for sure the patch is applyed and cant be reverted)

19. 4,251
    sandungas

I just noticed an small visual problem, is not important but i guess could be labeled as a bug, im going to report it now before i forget

It happens in the XMB UI mode, when you click triangle over a game icon (to see the game settings)
    When doing that there is an animation that scales-up the game icon size... and it can happen 2 different things, based in if the icon have semi-transparent pixels all around

If the icon is a perfect rectangle with opaque pixels at the borders (this is the most common), then is scaled-up fine
    But if the icon is not a rectangle and have semi-transparent pixels around, then the semi-transparent pixels "inherits" the color of the background

Is hard to explain... better try it to see yourself
    What i think is happening is (before scaling it) managunz is "capturing" the pixels of the original icon when displayed over the background image
    And that "capture" is capturing the pixels of the background image
    The result im having now (with a blue background from a theme) is this icons have a blue wide line all around, and this is a mistake

Is that... or either the "darken" effect layer that is applyed together with that "icon scale-up" animation. It looks like the blue line around the icon is not affected by that "darken" effect

Anyway... what im sure is this problem is related with the semi-transparent pixels around the non-rectangled game icons

Zar likes this.
  20. 715
    Zar

Zar Developer

I can't see it, can you tell me which game icon we can see it ?