PSN Liberator - Convert PSN Content to Disc Format

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by Rudi Rastelli, Jan 24, 2015.

1. 1,276
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

I already did that, but I found no idps file; I got the string from multiMAN as per the first time setup window of PSN Liberator. I converted 3 games into ISO; Flower, Journey and LittleBigPlanet. Of those, only Flower ran as an ISO (the other two said the install data was corrupted) so I'll try them as PKG to see if that works as I'm aware not all games will work in ISO format.

Either way, I've got it working so it's just a matter of testing which games will work in ISO and which need a PKG. :)

Aidorin likes this.
  2. 2,673
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Not necessarily... you will only have an act.dat if you have activated the system on PSN. This will be the only " exdata " folder in the user's directories that will have any act.dat and rif and other files.

Some people have multiple users, normally for offline play, but only one PSN Profile. And you only need the one linked to PSN to be able to use them on the PS3 and the licence file's associated with the game for this to " Liberate " them. And not all games use ".rif " files to activate them. They can use multiple different files.

Your IDPS's are located in EID5 (CEX) and EID0 (DEX) of the flash not in a folder.

What you are talking about is the file that PSN Liberator use's to store your IDPS once you have entered it on the main setup screen on first boot of the app on your PS3 and is not bin file, as you say it has no extension, so how could it be a .bin file with no .bin extension? Its simply a file for your IDPS under your act.dat in the same folder in the PSN Liberator directory and is not readable. It shows as code if you try to open and read it.

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  3. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Guys, any ideas about decryption of obviously encrypted trophy files (and SELF/SPRX)? I am talking about files where the clear header is not recognizable and they seem to be somehow "scrambled"/encrypted. Thanks.
    P.S. Just to give a context - I am talking about extracted files from a PKG file. Some of them seem to have such a weird additional encryption, which neither PKGView nor PKGRipper are able to decrypt. Same applies to all other tools I have tried so far.
    I can also upload the encrypted files if somebody would like to experiment with them too :).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  4. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

I guess I have got now an idea what is the actual problem. It seems that PKGView and PKGRipper simply can't properly decode the up-to-date PKG files downloaded directly from Sony. While some files are readable (such EBOOT.bin, PARAM.sfo etc), most of files are "scrambled" - it's not just trophy and some SELF/SPRX, it's most content of the game (99%+). So while PS3 can decrypt them properly with 4.82.2 while installation, it doesn't seem to be the case for any of PKG extractors. Any ideas how this theoretically could be fixed? E.g. PKGview sources are freely available and could be adapted/modified if there are new PKG decryption keys available.
    I have found this tool - https://github.com/PS3Xploit/PS3xploit-resigner - would it be maybe useful for a proper extraction (e.g. convert to HAN style and then it would extract properly)?
    @aldostools , @Rudi Rastelli , @habib , @kozarovv , @jjkkyu - if you are around, I'd be happy to hear your opinion too, huge thanks!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  5. 12,016
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

if you're trying to do this on an unhakable system, then it's probably your problem. though, if you're encountering this on a pc, I'm not really what the problem could be. I'd say test the sha-1 (all the pkg in hex minus the last lines.; determine the sha-1 of that, and compare to the last two lines. aldostools has an app that can do this automatically.; newer pkgs shouldn't be a problem

6. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

I am doing it on a PC indeed. So heavily wondering how and why almost all files are so strangely encrypted. Can you please explain a bit more in detail why and how to check the sha-1 and with which tools exactly? Aldo has dozens of tools :). Many thanks.

7. 2,673
    Cypher_CG89

TBH I really do not get how you cannot get these files decrypted on a PC. The PKG tools can unpack and repack nearly all pkg files including retail ones. And i decrpyted loads of retail self and eboot.bin with aldo's tools so i can disassemble them, edit and mod them. then encytped, and resigned them, again.

This is FUBAR this is.

As for the SHA-1 hhas checks. google MD5 hash check for windows or multi hash check, there a plenty of free one's out there.

8. 2,673
    Cypher_CG89

also @PS3BigFan if your trying to do this before you use Liberator then its most likely to screw the whole process up of what the app does.

9. 12,016
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I can't recall the check sum app. it refers to sha-1 as pkg sha-1 afaik, all pkgs, even system updates, use sha-1. I'm assuming you/ll get an error if you try installing a corrupted, system update. it certainly does that with pkgs.

10. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

I have used pkg_contentid tool to check the sha-1 and indeed it says that it's corrupted. But it's a multipart PKG coming straight from Sony - how is it even possible then? Are problems maybe caused by the fact that it's a multipart (6 parts) PKG then?
    Thanks!

11. 2,673
    Cypher_CG89

There are lots of reasons that could corrupt it, it could corrupt during download, this is why its always recomend to do hash checks on things, especially CFW PUP files, You could have it stored on a damaged or corrupted sector of the HDD, repeatedly trying to decrypt the files can damaged them.

The most two likely being the HDD and the download.

12. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

I see. It's just unbelievable to have lost so much time only due to this corruption issue :-/. But I learned quite a lot about different tools at least :)... Will try to re-download and see if something changes.

13. 3,219
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

If it is a multi-part PKG, try merging the 6 parts into a single PKG. Then check again the sha-1 with pkg_contentid.

You can merge the files using the following command from cmd.exe:
    copy /b part1.pkg+part2.pkg+part3.pkg+part4.pkg+part5.pkg+part6.pkg merged.pkg

*Replace part*.pkg with the actual file names. Also keep the correct order (1-2-3-4-5-6).

If the checksum of merged.pkg also fails, it is possible that some of the parts (one or more) are corrupted and need to redownload them again.

If one of the first 5 files is smaller in file size than the rest, it's very likely that you should redownload that one.

14. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

OK, I did some progress:
    - re-downloaded everything - this time SHA-1 check was positive. Successfully extracted everything, no "scrambled" files anymore :).
    - resigned with ESSSE Resigner 4.4 eboot.bin, all SELF files, all SPRX files and one EDAT file (all of them as "3.55 disc boot", but also tried "4.21 disc too" - same effect. not tried "4.21 NPDRM free" yet), by using my RAP file + idps + act.dat . Funny fact - PSN Liberator 1.0 always ends in an error "failed to resign EBOOT.BIN", PSN Liberator 0.96B creates all folders etc., but neither of the files is resigned. So I had to do everything manually by using other resigner tools, primarily ESSSE Resigner (but TrueAncestor tools seem to work fine too).
    - packaged the game as a disc game (changed param.sfo, directory name etc.)
    - copied on external fat32 hdd
    - multiman, webman etc. can perfectly see the game and load it in XMB
    - if I start the game I get the error (after a while, not instantly) "Game seems to be corrupted, please reinstall it".

So my question now - is it one of such cases, where a game (in this case "Yakuza 5") can't be repackaged as a disc folder game? Would it be any different if I try to make it as an ISO? Do I really need to resign all files? What could be the cause for such a problem and a possible solution to it? Any help is hugely appreciated, I really want to finally solve this issue after having spent so many hours with it :).

@aldostools Any ideas? :) Many thanks in advance!!

One other idea/question - is any of the game managers (webman, multiman, iris etc.) maybe capable to load a game as a game folder (e.g. usb000/game/<game folder>) somehow directly into XMB, from an external HDD? in such case it would be at least a less elegant but a working solution too.

P.S. Is this tool maybe any good in my case https://www.psxhax.com/threads/true...ler-v2-20-ps3-update-by-jjkkyu-released.2038/ ?
    P.P.S. Does it matter which user account act.dat belongs to (on the same console) or is it OK to use it for any user account if on the same console? (this is my guess at least)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  15. 137
    catalinnc

catalinnc Member

you can not convert yakuza 5 to game folder (or iso) because of the sprx files...
    _

if you have mutiple act.dats on your ps3 (do to multiple users with psn accounts) you need to use the act.dat that is in the same folder with the yakuza 5 .rif...
    _

16. 3,219
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

It depends of the game (not sure about Yakuza 5)... In general PSN games can be repacked as disc folder games if the EBOOT, *.sprx, *.self are resigned as retail (non-npdrm) and/or if you use an update PKG from the retail version of the same game/region. PARAM.SFO also needs to be edited and for non-CFW the LIC.DAT needs to be created. I'm not sure, but I think that is what psn liberator does (I never have used this tool)...

webMAN MOD is capable of load USB games (iso or folder format) directly from XMB. Indeed the games are listed under "webMAN Games" menu on XMB.

Alternatively you can create custom links using <url=https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/tree/master/_Projects_/wm_url_launcher>wm_url_launcher</url> or using lastGAME Customizer.

All jjkkyu tools are very good... ;)

About the act.dat, it doesn't matter the user account always that it belongs to that console and the *.rif files exist in the same folder of that user account. The rif files should be signed with the same act.dat of that folder.

17. 137
    catalinnc

catalinnc Member

if you really need to run yakuza 5 from external hdd use gamedata tool...it is reported as "working"...
    _

18. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Why exactly sprx files?

EBOOT can only be resigned to Disc Type app, but self and sprx files can be resigned also as free type NPDRM. Does it matter in case of PKGs repackaging as disc folder if it's gonna be free type NPDRM or disc type apps?
    Param.sfo was edited (blue ray disc app with FW 3.55 as requirement), is there anything else important in there? In my case PSN Liberator did nothing besides of repackaging as folder with param.sfo, but no resigning of any files.

The question is - usually it has to be in "GAMES" folder (e.g. "GAMES/Yakuza5/"), but what if I let it in the same structure as it is extracted from PKG (with old param.sfo as "harddrive game"), just resign self/sprx as "free type npdrm", and then put the game on the external HDD as ("game/NPEB02228") - would it be still able to find+load it from there? Never tried such things yet. Moreover the question is if "disc type app" is applicable for EBOOT, as I couldn't find any tools which can resign EBOOT as "free type NPDRM", so would it still boot properly? I hope my questions make sense :).

I never used it - is there any description/help available on how to use it? Is it something similar to "symbolic links" in Linux? :) Then I will be able to link the game as an extracted PKG (with resigned files) from external HDD in webman?

Could you elaborate more on this please? How exactly does it work?

And one more question - what are the best tools currently to create PS3 PKG files?

Many thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  19. 137
    catalinnc

catalinnc Member

20. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Great, thanks for the hint, will definitely try gamedata tool (either the one you pointed me to or the one integrated in webman) as the next step. But could you or @aldostools maybe answer my questions above? Sorry, but I am totally new to the more advanced stuff :). Many thanks!!

P.S. In the last version of ESSSE Repackager (4.5.4) there is an option to resign EBOOT as "free type NPDRM" as well, but this doesn't help either. Maybe if the game is repackaged as a disc type app with 4.21+ FW it requires LIC.DAT to run?